I was delighted to show around an enthusiastic bunch of fishery manager students today. Sparsholt College has an enviable reputation for producing great fishery employees. This year class that Simon Scott and James Watson brought down to our farm look like maintaining this exceptional standard.
Some key issues we covered were:
- Environmental issues that a coarse fish farm must comply with.
- Identification of zooplankton.
- How much oxygen is needed to grow fish in static ponds.
- Methods of weed control.
- Pond construction.
- Purpose and timing of aeration.
- Benefits of stocking stillwater barbel